Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Needs"

So, my due date is November 16th and I'm constantly being reminded that I need to start "preparing" for this baby's arrival. We need to prepare sleeping quarters, get registered, learn how to care for our newborn, learn how to give birth, learn how to breastfeed, prepare our dogs...take classes, buy products...the list seems to go on and on. The fact is, I haven't even once walked through the baby section at Target. I haven't opened my bag-of-goodies from the doctor to page through the magazines full of products. I haven't perused the web for furniture for the bedroom. Am I behind the eightball? Do I not care about the needs of our child? Am I not taking this seriously enough?

The answer to all of these questions is "No, of course not".

So, you might ask, what have I been thinking about?

I have been thinking about "needs" in a different sense.

Our child will need:


Courage to stand up for itself.
Respect for the adults in its life.
Empathy for its best friends tears.
A sense of Self-Worth to carry it through challenging times.
Belief in itself to be able to try new things.
Faith in God when all else seems to fail.
Self-Confidence in order not to have to follow the crowd.
Humor in order to laugh, and laugh often.
Understanding, in order to accept all walks of life.
Patience, for all good things come to those who wait!

And as far as I know, I can't find these things at Target or in the magazines...but BTK and I are responsible for each and every one. And I can't stop thinking about those things...and so much more...for those are the things that matter and that add substance to a persons life.

And for all of you out there who think that I'm a bit crazy...don't worry your pretty heads, I promise we'll register soon :)

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Well, honestly... the world tells you that you need so much for a baby because it wants you to spend your money. The truth is that as long as baby has a clean body (diapers), warmth (a few clothes and some blankets), and food (either from the breast or bottle - don't stress out if it has to be one way or the other) - it's pretty much set. The list that you provided should come before all else, including the matching bedset, the fancy crib, the changing table (that you will NEVER use) or toys.