Thursday, August 14, 2008

What is GRAHAM?

I was eating some stale graham crackers recently and a thought struck me..."I wonder what graham is?". I didn't actually take the time to look until today, when I was again eating stale graham crackers, and I was thrilled that there was such a crazy history to such a delicious cracker.

Apparently, there was this guy named Sylvester (not unlike the cartoon or the boxer) whose last name happened to be Graham. Sylvester developed a diet and called it the Graham Diet. This diet consisted of bland foods and its sole purpose was to suppress unhealthy carnal urges, such as masturbation (which he believed was a catalyst for blindness).

Now, Graham was obviously a crazy man...but his crackers are a fabulous snack and they pair really well with a toasted marshmallow and some chocolate. And I don't know about you, but instead of NOT thinking about those carnal urges, I think graham crackers are my new aphrodisiac.

And by the way, those bland Kellogg's Corn Flakes that you eat every morning...they were created for the same reason :)
OH! And, I found out that graham flour is made by taking a whole grain wheat kernel and grinding its components (bran, germ, and endosperm) separately and then mixing them up again creating a coarse textured flour, graham flour.






3 comments:

Jamie said...

Graham crackers are also delicious with PB and Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.

Sayre said...

Mmmm... I love graham crackers. Especially the cinnamon kind. But I never really gave any thought to what "graham" is, or why they were called graham crackers!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious and wrong.