Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Story of Christmas Giving

BTK and I have been very lazy in the past years and have never put the effort into getting a Christmas tree. So sad, so lazy, I know. We've leaned on such excuses in the past as, "we will be out of town for the week of..." and, "we don't have any kids..." and, "it costs a lot of money" and, "the dog will pee on it". Actually, I made up that last one about the dog. We never used that excuse.
This year we had every intention of getting a tree. I had scoped out a place to go and cut one down, and we were both looking forward to cutting down a real live Christmas tree and both looking forward to having a beautiful Christmas tree in our living room.
And then BTK fell ill.
And he has been house-bound since ('cept for work this week).
And though it was never actually spoken aloud, we both knew that we wouldn't be able to get out to get that tree.
It disappointed me cause this was the year we were gonna DO IT... and now we couldn't!
UNTIL....
Last Saturday Erin called me and said, "Are you at home?"
Me: "Yeah"
Erin: "Where are your cars?"
Me: "One is in the garage and one is still at BTK's work from when he went into the ER."
Erin: "Well, come get the door cause we are in your driveway!"
Me: "What?" (confused)
Erin: "We are in your driveway... come get the door!"
So I did. And there they stood at the back of their SUV unloading a real live Christmas tree!!!! And she had a tree stand and a tree skirt and lights and everything!!!
Now, this was an occasion to open BOTH front doors cause the tree is THAT big! M hauled the thing in with Erin in tow carrying all the goodies for this special tree that is to be up in our livingroom.
In the meantime... I quietly went down to where BTK lay in front of the 42" flat screen panel and calmly told him what shenanigans the "Smiths" pulled this time... and so he came up to watch the charade of trying to get the tree up and on the stand. There was snow and ice jammed up in the hole, so it took some extra love to get it standing upright.
And we hugged and I said "thank you" and didn't know what else to say...
Then they were gone.
It is a beautiful tree with very soft, short needles that seem to be staying put right where they belong, and not on the floor. It is lovely, really.
But what I'd like to say here is that our friends spilled thier kindness and generosity right into our livingroom in the form of Christmas blessings. I can't say that BTK and I have ever pooled our hearts and physical energy together like that for anyone. We hardly do it for ourselves. I still don't know how to thank Erin and M for what they did for us. They created an opportunity for BTK and I to pull out all the ornaments we've been getting as gifts every year since we've been married, to put on Christmas music, and enjoy decorating our very first Christmas tree.
Erin and M... thank you for that. Love you!



7 comments:

Bethany said...

What a wonderful story! I had tears in my eyes...you have some awesome friends there! Thanks for the great pic at the end! :)See you tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

I, too, had tears in my eyes because it was a beautiful gesture to do for a special friend. I will check to see if there are any more ornaments that you made back in the day, and I saved for this special occasion!! I can't wait to see it in person. Erin and Mike, you are 2 very special people!!
Love, Mom

Libby said...

That is a beautiful Christmas blessing, indeed. It's the type of story that should be told and retold every year from here on out.



ps: the handsome guy parked in front of the tree looks happy too. :)

Jamie said...

Oh, I love it! You are so blessed to have them as friends!

Jenny said...

Those are great friends!
Great picture.

Suburban prep said...

What a wonderful story and such great friends. The true meaning of Christmas.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I'm all choked up! I was so sick last Christmas as well as the kids, and someone in California I know, sent me an amazing holiday arrangement through a florist and paid more for the delivery guy to go pick me up a Starbucks Peppermint latte, which was 20 min out of the way (we dont have a local starbucks). It made my holiday. They did it because they knew we'd been house bound and at our wits end!