Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Some Lighter Fare

I've started classes once again! That exclamation point is only for you readers; if you'd have heard me say it in person, I wouldn't have sounded so excited. Good news and bad news. The bad news is that I have to go to school, it doesn't come to me. It takes me about one hour and ten minutes from driveway to $300 parking spot. I feel that sitting behind the wheel for five hours a week is a HUGE waste of my time. I used to bring flash cards to study, but I learned the hard way that I am endangering lives other than my own when partaking in such a careless stunt. Another unappealing attribute of the experience is that my husband and I are on completely different schedules. If only I'd have had the foresight to see my dietetics destiny when I was at the tender and unknowing age of 19. Ben and I could now be spending our evenings together taking long walks with the dogs (pronounced "doe-gs") discussing the infinite possibilities of retirement. Instead, I spend my evenings at work or at school while his are splattered with home renovations, friends, beer, and a limited (I'm sure) amount of video games. I ache for the future when we'll be able to spend more time together (in front of the TV, probably). The good news about being back in school is that I bought a brand spankin' new backpack! That exclamation point would apply even in person=) Is this new school bag (which happens to display my school colors, pointed out to me by erin) large enough to house all of my texts at once?? NO, of course not! It is poorly designed and lacking in space for over sized texts. Is it comfortable to wear?? Yes, it is. Do the other kids at school like it?? I don't have a clue! They don't talk to me. I find that age 28 stands out on a college campus like a circus elephant on a horse track. Okay, so it's not that bad. I have a friend and she is nice, but her backpack is way better with a very well known brand name (that I can't think of...) for everyone to see. I bet it holds all of her books too. So, I totally know it is all in my head that I look old to the kids on campus. If anything were to make me stand out, it'd be my lack of fashion. I tend to wear the same clothes, most days. The kids wear all kinds of trends that I wasn't even aware of. It is a great place to people watch. And that happens to be a favorite pastime of mine. BUT, I needn't spend my time people watching when there is so much to learn!

So, although I'm only taking two classes this semester, one of them happens to weigh very heavily on my success as a future R.D. It is called Medical Nutrition Therapy... fascinating!! It will supposedly provide me with the knowledge I need to become a clinical Dietitian. Well, not so much "provide"... I'm sure it'll require a lot of effort by me to succeed=) Best of luck to me.

No comments: