Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dreams

Sometimes I get a bit frustrated that at 28 years old, I am still in school and waiting tables. It seems never ending; I sometimes wonder if it was even the right decision. I recently told a friend that the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that in ten years, when I'm finally able to look back on the experience, it probably won't seem like that much time. Looking ahead to the day I am actually an R.D. is what keeps me going. I want to be an expert in the field and the only way to get there is to continue on this path. So, this friend I was talking to said that she believes we should pay closer attention to the journey that takes us there, for although we have an idea of where it is we want to go, it may not be where we are actually going. She suggested that I may want to pay closer attention to what is right in front of me everyday rather than constantly looking forward to where I want to be one day.

I've been thinking a bit about what she said. It makes sense. We all have dreams, places we want to go, titles we want to one day have, but if we are constantly looking far ahead to that "one day", we are going to miss something along the way. I will be an R.D. "one day", but from now on I will try to keep in mind that between now and then, I have a lot of living to do.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

What a wise friend! :)

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV.

My favorite translation of this verse is from The Message "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. "